Saturday, October 28, 2017

Saturday, Oct 28.

This was such an interesting day of learning some of the History in this land of Water and Windmills!  We visited The Neeltje Jans Deltapark where we learned about the great flood of 1953. It showed how the country developed a series of dams, sluices and storm surge barriers for protection so they could avoid the terrible destruction from these cruel storms.  It also really gave such a clear picture of some of what people have gone thru in the Hurricanes these past months in our news. 

But, before we visit there, a few pictures of little Miss at our B&B that morning.





 The day again was cloudy with intermittent sunshine coming thru. Some rain off and on.







 Another very fun part of this place was the Seal and Sea Lion performances! Especially interesting to me, as although I have seen them in Zoo's, I've never been to places like Sea World or etc. that have this kind of thing.  They were so fun to watch, and obviously had a wonderful rapport with their trainers


 I wish I could remember their names! She kept up a steady stream of talking to them, calling each by name and using hand motions and words to direct them in what to do. They were so loving & friendly!





 We took this little open train around and over the bridge for a closer view. It would have been fun to walk this on a warmer & less wet day.  The skies were very fickle, we had sun one moment and clouds & rain the next!



 Inside we learned, saw displayed and watched how these barriers were made





 This place is very interesting--It's a very kid interactive learning and fun environment.
Another interesting building was the aquairiam where we saw many species of sea life



 Maylia enjoyed the tour too, and here's Laura doing a little hands on. I refrained..... lol!



 Can you see him?  They change colors to blend in with their surroundings!

 And do you wish to go swimming with the sharks?


 Next we got to watch the Sea Lions. They were awesome performers! I loved the way they made clapping motions to the audience when they were thru!







 More of our view of this spot--It was so interesting to see this as last year when I was over here I didn't get to see the Sea at all as Laura lives further inland.  This time I got to view what we commonly have a mindset of the "Holland" I've read about!  Any of the pictures can be viewed larger by clicking on them.






 And in the middle of it all, a lovely patch of wild flowers beside the road.

 Another wonderful surprise stop was here at Kinderdijk where a system of 19 windmills were built in the 1700's for water control. Although it was near dusk, it was so pretty and I just couldn't stop taking photos.  I'm sorry for duplication's!




 Is this not just the "Typical look" we associate with Holland?!





 Can you see the basket in the rushes?!

 Such a beautiful spot!!  And now we're really headed "home" to Borne!

I'll add this picture here, as it's the only one I have from the next day.
Sunday Morning as we put Little Miss into her car seat again, she was NOT impressed!  She'd had quite enough riding the 2 days before!

But....who could resist a picture!
Next posts, days at Laura's, the start of week 2.

2 comments:

  1. I am so enjoying all your pictures. Now that I am back home from my travels, I can continue to travel with you! Take care & hugs to all of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Family of Four

Not much going on in this house except cooking and keeping mama and baby fed & happy! Oh, and the toddler too!  A few pictures from our...